With the popularity of the Ketogenic diet there’s a good chance you have heard of medium chain triglycerides or MCTs, in fact, you’ve probably even added it to your morning coffee, smoothie, or salad dressing for some healthy fats which is one of the tenants of the Ketogenic diet and reaching nutritional ketosis. But are there differences between MCT Oil products?
Here’s the Skinny on the different types of fatty acids:
MCTs are saturated fats with 6-12 carbons per chain. They differ from Short Chain Fatty Acids (SCFA) that have less than 6 carbons per chain and Long Chain Fatty Acids (LCFA) which contain 13-21 carbons. The 2 most common fatty acids contained in MCT Oil are:
C8- Caprylic Acid- of the two, C8 is more rapidly converted to ketones in the liver and enhances mental clarity.
C10- Capric Acid- can modulate the immune system with its anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory properties.
MCT Oil is made from coconut oil or palm kernel oil by extracting all or most of the fatty acid C12, or lauric acid, leaving C8 and C10 behind. MCT products on the market may contain C8 only, a combination of C8 and C10, or a mix of C8, C10 and C12. Some evidence suggests that C12 acts more like a long chain fatty acid that is digested in the stomach and is not readily used for ketone production so it may not be included. Undoubtedly MCT Oil is one of the best ketogenic supplements you can use when it contains both C8 and C10.
5 Reasons You Should Be Using MCT Oil:
- MCTs do not require bile and digestion to break them down, they are sent to the liver and converted into ketones which can help induce nutritional ketosis and provide energy.
- MCTs are not stored as fat.
- They are readily taken up in the brain where they can enhance focus and concentration and provide brain fuel.
- With Anti-Bacterial, Anti-Fungal, and Anti-Inflammatory properties MCT oil can reduce inflammation and improve gut health.
- MCTs enhance thermogenesis and fat oxidation leading to fat loss.
Some companies may use cheaper MCT oils that contain other fats or blends, but here at Killer Creamery, our MCT Oil is 98% C8 so that you can reap all the benefits of these healthy fats. Check out our Nutrition Facts tab for information on our ingredients and to order your sample pack today.
Want to add some pints to your freezer? Scoop em' up here!